The City of Whitehorse strives to provide information to members of the media in a timely fashion that respects the print, radio and television deadlines.
For media inquiries please contact (867) 689-2848 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
You can sign up for e-mail notifications from the City of Whitehorse, which includes News. Click here to sign up!
Current and Archived News
Winter Holiday Fire Safety
Public Service Announcement
Whitehorse – The Fire Department reminds citizens that winter holidays are a time for greater risk of fire.
Did you know? Two of every five home decoration fires are started by candles. Nearly half of decoration fires happen because decorations are placed too close to a heat source.
Following a few simple tips will ensure a happy and fire-safe season for Whitehorse families and their friends.
- Be careful with holiday decorations. Choose decorations that are flame resistant or flame retardant.
- Keep lit candles away from decorations and other things that can burn.
- Keep children and pets away from lit candles.
- Blow out lit candles when you leave the room or go to bed.
- Some lights are only for indoor or outdoor use, but not both.
- Replace any string of lights with worn or broken cords or loose bulb connections. Read manufacturer’s instructions for number of light strands to connect.
- Use clips, not nails, to hang lights so the cords do not get damaged.
- Keep decorations away from windows and doors.
- Turn off all light strings and decorations before leaving home or going to bed.
Visit www.whitehorse.ca/fire for more information from the Whitehorse Fire Department.
Contact: Fire Chief Kevin Lyslo at 668-8383 or email@example.com.