The City of Whitehorse strives to provide information to members of the media in a timely fashion that respects the print, radio and television deadlines.
For media inquiries please contact (867) 689-2848 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
You can sign up for e-mail notifications from the City of Whitehorse, which includes News. Click here to sign up!
Current and Archived News
Winter Holiday Fire Safety
Public Service Announcement
Whitehorse – The Fire Department reminds citizens that winter holidays are a time for greater risk of fire.
Did you know? The National Fire Protection Association statistics show that more than half (55%) of the December home decoration fires were started by candles. Nearly half of decoration fires happen because decorations are placed too close to a heat source.
Following a few simple tips will ensure a happy and fire-safe season for Whitehorse families and their friends.
- Be careful with holiday decorations. Choose decorations that are flame resistant or flame retardant.
- Keep lit candles away from decorations and other things that can burn.
- Keep children and pets away from lit candles.
- Blow out lit candles when you leave the room or go to bed.
- Some lights are only for indoor or outdoor use, but not both.
- Replace any string of lights with worn or broken cords or loose bulb connections. Read manufacturer’s instructions for number of light strands to connect.
- Use clips, not nails, to hang lights so the cords do not get damaged.
- Keep decorations away from windows and doors.
- Turn off all light strings and decorations before leaving home or going to bed.
- Install and maintain carbon monoxide alarms in a central location outside each separate sleeping area, on every level of the home, and in other locations as required by laws, codes, or standards.
Check out this video for further Holiday Safety Tips from NFPA: https://youtu.be/-ugeFgJlpi4
Visit www.whitehorse.ca/fire for more information from the Whitehorse Fire Department.
For more information, contact A/Fire Chief Chris Green at 668-8640 or email@example.com