The City of Whitehorse strives to provide information to members of the media in a timely fashion that respects the print, radio and television deadlines.
For media inquiries please contact (867) 689-2848 or email email@example.com
You can sign up for e-mail notifications from the City of Whitehorse, which includes News. Click here to sign up!
Current and Archived News
Maintain Your Oil Tank - Prevent Spills
Public Service Announcement
WHITEHORSE – The City reminds homeowners to conduct seasonal inspections of oil tanks to prevent leaks and spills.
Improper storage of fuel remains a threat to our environment, and to our drinking water. Spills and leaks often result in costly insurance claims In some cases, claims for oil spills are denied, resulting in direct costs to property owners.
Oil tank owners are advised to consider the following:
- Discontinue use of any underground oil tanks;
- Determine whether your oil tank meets current installation standards and consider making upgrades;
- Inspect your tank, fuel lines, and furnace annually;
- Consider replacing any single-walled steel tanks; and
- Report all spills by calling the Yukon Spill Line 667-7244.
Visit www.whitehorse.ca/oiltank for more information on current oil tank standards; how to prevent spills and leaks from your tank; and an inspection checklist.
For more information, contact Dave Albisser, Manager of Water and Waste, 668-8350.