The City of Whitehorse strives to provide information to members of the media in a timely fashion that respects the print, radio and television deadlines.
For media inquiries please contact (867) 689-2848 or email email@example.com
You can sign up for e-mail notifications from the City of Whitehorse, which includes News. Click here to sign up!
Current and Archived News
Potential fire danger associated with faulty chimney installations
Joint public safety bulletin
Homeowners are advised of potential fire danger as a result of an installation technique that goes against the manufacturer’s instruction for EXCEL chimneys for woodstoves. The risk is a result of the improper installation method, not the product.
If you have an EXCEL chimney that passes through a floor of your home, switch to an alternate heat source and do not use your wood stove until you can confirm the chimney was installed to the manufacturer’s specifications.
Homeowners with chimneys that vent through the exterior wall or do not pass through storeys of their home (i.e., in a bungalow) are not affected.
Homeowners should contact their heating appliance or chimney installation company to determine the safety of the installation. For assistance during business hours, Whitehorse homeowners can contact the City’s Building Inspections Department for assistance at (867) 668-8346; outside of Whitehorse, homeowners can contact the Government of Yukon’s Building Safety and Standards branch toll free at 1-800-661-0408 local 5741.
A recent fire investigation by the City of Whitehorse Fire Department found a fire stop made by a contractor and installed on an EXCEL chimney without proper airspace caused a fire in the chimney support of the home.
This improper installation technique is not detectable through the regular inspection process for chimneys, as it is concealed by the required radiation shield.
The City of Whitehorse and the Government of Yukon are reviewing permit records in order to directly inform homeowners for whom this information is recorded.
Everyone is reminded to reduce the risk of fire by never leaving an open fire place unattended or storing wood near the stove. Be sure your smoke and carbon monoxide alarms are working and keep an appropriate fire extinguisher nearby.
Communications, Community Services
City of Whitehorse