New Green Building Standards

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
 Energy Brochure House

 Energy Brochure Scale

As of April 1st 2014, an EnerGuide Rating System label is required on all new homes. Click here for more information. 

Energy Conservation Bylaw Amendment

As part of the City's continual efforts to ensure energy is used efficiently and sustainably, and homeowners see lower energy bills, the Building and Plumbing Bylaw is periodically reviewed to incorporate and update energy efficiency. This page outlines both sets of amendments.  These amendments are part of the City's ongoing efforts to implement its Sustainability Plan and build a more sustainable community.

Regulations include:

Implementation Date
The effective date for heated residential, commercial or industrial buildings is December 31, 2012; the requirement for energy labelling is effective April 1, 2014. All amendments apply to modular homes; changes will come into effect for mobile homes June 30, 2015.

Minimum Thermal Insulation Values
These changes apply to all new buildings and additions that are heated except residential accessory buildings (sheds and detached garages). The insulation values proposed are as follows:
• Walls including foundations above and below grade R28
• Attics R60*
• Floors above unheated spaces R28
• Slabs on ground R10
• Slabs on ground containing radiant heat R20
• Concealed floor space or crawl space from grade R10
• Doors R12
• Windows R4.0
• Freeze protection for footings R10 extending 2’ from building face.

An alternative to these values may use energy modelling to achieve the same energy consumption or build to an EnerGuide Rating System value of 82.

Blower Door Test
The building envelope of new dwelling units shall be constructed with a maximum 1.5 air changes per hour at a 50 Pa depressurization or a maximum normalized leakage area of 0.7cm sq./m sq. of exterior wall surface at a 10 Pascal depressurization when measured in accordance with CAN/CSGB-149.10-M (determination of the air tightness of building envelopes by fan depressurization method aka "blower door test").

Heat Recovery Ventilators (HRV)
HRVs are required in housing to act as the principal ventilation fan. The HRV will need a “sensible recovery efficiency” of 64% or more at an outside winter design temperature of -25 ºC. These values are available in the Home Ventilating Institute catalogue.
Design for heat recovery ventilators shall be done by a Heating, Refrigeration, and Air Conditioning Institute (HRAI) of Canada certified designer and approved with initial plans. Ventilation shall be installed at time of rough-in inspections by the City.
Any non-residential buildings requiring mechanical ventilation shall have heat recovery in their exhaust ventilation.

In all new construction, chimneys of naturally aspirated fuel-fired appliances shall remain in the building envelope before exiting through the roof.

Energy Labelling
An EnerGuide rating label and report shows the level of energy efficiency in a home. Just like consumers look for mileage when purchasing a new vehicle to determine how much fuel their car is expected to use, an EnerGuide rating shows homebuyers how much energy their home is expected to use. It helps homebuyers make informed decisions about energy use when buying a new home.

To get an EnerGuide Rating System label, developers and builders must work with an Energy Advisor. The additional cost is about $200 -$300 / unit. Rebates are available through the Energy Solutions Centre and Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation.

To view a brochure that describes the process, click here: Page 1 & Page 2.

For more information on the EnerGuide Rating Service, visit the Natural Resources Canada website

To contact an Energy Advisor, call Yukon Housing Corporation at 867-667-5759.

For information about rebates, contact Energy Solutions CentreCanada Mortgage and Housing Corporation  or click here

Additional “Housekeeping” amendments:
Washrooms: Section 82.
(1) Every building open to the public shall have not less than one Universal Toilet Room conforming to sentence of the National Building Code or equivalent services that are available for use by the public.
(2) Every building open to the public shall be equipped with an infant change table or clear counter space with a minimum unobstructed area of 51cm by 92cm.
(3) Every washroom connected to municipal services shall have installed water closets with high efficiency toilets (dual flush toilets with a maximum flush of 6L per flush or single flush with a maximum of 4.8L per flush).  
(4) Every washroom shall have installed manual flush valves on urinals.


Fire Department Connections for automatic sprinkler systems shall utilize a 4” stortz hose connection with screen and cap, except in smaller systems where a 2.5" hose connection with a swivel female connection with a cap may be deemed appropriate.