January 2018 Ideas Fair
We had a station at the Ideas Fair held at the Old Fire Hall on January 31, thanks to all who participated!
January 2018 Field Surveys
As part of the Downtown Parking Plan Update, the City of Whitehorse and Stantec Consulting Ltd. is conducting parking counts and field surveys during the month of January. The surveys will be conducted January 17, 24, and 31. The field surveys will consist of a review of on-street parking, off-street parking lots, and overall Downtown mobility to get an idea on how Downtown parking is functioning. This will provide such information as:
- how many parking stalls are being occupied during the course of the day (on a block-by-block basis);
- how long are vehicles parking for;
- what specific areas are experiencing more or less parking demand; and
- what times of the work day are experiencing more or less parking demand.
Bylaw's License Plate Recognition Vehicle (e.g. the white SUV) will be utilized as part of the surveys. Both Bylaw and Stantec staff will be wearing uniforms or high-visibility vests and are available to answer questions from the public on what they are doing. Any questions regarding the purpose of the surveys can be directed to Ben Campbell, project manager, at the contact information below.
The City's 2011 Downtown Parking Management Plan contains 10 years of recommendations geared at ensuring the efficient and effective use of parking in the city core. Since it was adopted, approximately 75% of the recommendations from the plan have been implemented, or are underway.
To reflect the ongoing population and commercial growth of Whitehorse, the City has initiated a process to track progress and refresh the plan with new and emerging priorities. The update process will examine a range of parking improvement initiatives and explore alternative transportation strategies that can help to ease parking demand.
The primary objectives of the update are to:
- track progress of the 2011 Plan to ensure implementation successfully remains on track;
- create an updated Plan based on recent Downtown conditions and growth; and
- confirm parking priorities for upcoming years (e.g. 2019-2029).
Stantec Consulting Ltd. has been hired to complete the work, which will include a variety of data collection exercises and public engagement opportunities.
The project will launch in early 2018. Stakeholder and public engagement will occur in 2018 with a final plan expected to be prepared by early 2019.
Important documents that will help inform the 2018 update include: (ordered chronologically)
- Downtown Retail and Entertainment Strategy (2016)
- Whitehorse Sustainability Plan (2015)
- Community Economic Development Strategy (2015)
- Whitehorse TDM Plan (2014)
- City of Whitehorse Zoning Bylaw (2012)
- Whitehorse Downtown Parking Management Plan (2011)
- City of Whitehorse Official Community Plan (2010)
Ben Campbell, Planner, firstname.lastname@example.org, (867) 668-8338