2017 is a particularly significant year in Canada because the nation is turning 150 years old. In the land of the midnight sun, what better way to celebrate than with a 24 hour celebration for Canada Day 150? The City of Whitehorse, in partnership with the Royal Canadian Legion Branch 254, will be the hosts of the Canada 150 Canada Day Celebration in Whitehorse.
The Celebration will be titled 24 Hours of Canada Day, and will bring together all visitors, artists, athletes, musicians, and residents young and old for an inclusive and family oriented celebration of Canada for 24 hours.
The Celebration will be held on July 1, 2017 and feature an outdoor multicultural celebration, free to all patrons, situated in Shipyards Park and along the Waterfront Trail. It will celebrate Yukon’s talented artists and performers.
The anticipated attendance for this event is 10,000 people over the day, which will feature many local organizations who wish to participate and offer programming for this event.
Want to participate?
Check out our calls for participants below:
We are currently looking for artists and STEM (science, engineering, technology, and math) activity facilitators to lead kid-friendly workshops as part of the 2017 Canada Day event! We welcome applications for 45-minute workshops in which families can make crafts and activities, which they can take home with them. Workshop leaders will be responsible for setup and teardown of the activity space, and will need to be on-hand throughout the activity to offer support and guidance as needed.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION: APRIL 23, 2017 11:59PM PST (DEADLINE EXTENDED)
Canada Day is happening on July 1, 2017.
$150 for a 45-min workshop and 15-min setup/teardown (for a total of 1 hour).
Send an e-mail including the following information to producer and programmer Selene Vakharia at email@example.com. Please include your name and the application name in the title of the e-mail and submit by April 23:
- a brief (<100 word) bio and photo (to be used in promotion/marketing)
- a brief (one paragraph) description of your activity and what the participant will have completed at the end of it.
- a listing of equipment/supplies that you will be using, highlighting what City of Whitehorse would be expected to supply or costs that City of Whitehorse would be expected to cover
We are currently looking for food vendors to take part in the 2017 Canada Day event! Food vendors will be responsible for setup and teardown of their area.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION: APRIL 21, 2017 11:59PM PST
Canada Day is happening on July 1, 2017.
$150 for a spot
All food vendors are responsible for getting the proper licensing/permits prior to the event and will be required to provide a copy of permits to the event producers.
VENDOR POLICIES AND GUIDELINES
- We want the right spot for the right vendor in accordance with customer and event needs. We will assign you your spot. Please fill out the vendor application form.
- You supply all your booth needs. We supply power, but do not supply tents, power cables, or extension cords. We have limited tables – let us know what your needs are and we will try to accommodate.
- Hours of operations: 2pm-11pm
- The event is aiming for Zero Waste. Please ensure your containers and utensils are compostable.
Send an e-mail including the following information to producer and programmer Selene Vakharia at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your business name and “Food Vendor Application” in the title of the e-mail and submit by April 21:
- A brief description of your set-up indicating your space needs
- List each electrical appliance that you use, including freezers. (exact amperage required)
- A brief description of what you will be selling
- Contact information including phone number, contact name, and email address
We started 2017 with the Canada 150 New Year's Eve Countdown!
Thanks to Canada 150 funding and our generous sponsors:
Recreation & Facility Services is responsible for the planning, delivery and support of many special events in the community. Our most popular events include Shipshape, Annual Kids Triathlon, Halloween Spooktacular, Sports Day in Canada, Remembrance Day Ceremony and Family First Night.
Planning an Event?Contact us to organize an event in one of our fabulous facilities! Visit Facility Booking
for details on how you can book a space for your meeting, event or function and reference documents to assist you.
Festivals and Special Events Grants
The City of Whitehorse offers financial and in-kind support to community groups and organizations planning special events within the City of Whitehorse. Visit our Grants Page for information.