The City of Whitehorse strives to provide information to members of the media in a timely fashion that respects the print, radio and television deadlines.
For media inquiries please contact (867) 689-0515 or email email@example.com
You can sign up for e-mail notifications from the City of Whitehorse, which includes News. Click here to sign up!
Current and Archived News
City Responds to Taxi Safety Concerns
WHITEHORSE – The City of Whitehorse would like to address concerns around taxi safety that have recently surfaced on social media.
The Bylaw Services department takes a number of different approaches to ensure that taxis are as safe as possible, including:
- Requiring all Vehicle for Hire operators obtain a permit;
- Ensuring that all drivers undergo a criminal record and vulnerable sector check;
- Ensuring that all drivers undergo an exam in relation to the Vehicle for Hire Bylaw, administered by Bylaw Services;
- Conducting bi-annual inspections for meter accuracy, video compliance, GPS compliance, mechanical compliance, cleanliness and ensuring the driver’s permit is located behind their seat with photo and permit number;
- Supporting and engaging with women’s advocacy groups in the delivery of a taxi driver education project, with a focus on sexualized assault awareness and prevention;
- Partnering with the RCMP to conduct random check stops to ensure compliance of the Vehicle for Hire Bylaw.
Bylaw Services takes the issue of taxi safety very seriously. The department, which administers and enforces the Vehicle for Hire Bylaw (2018), is sensitive to these concerns and pro-actively follows up on all complaints received through the Trouble Line (667-2111) or through firstname.lastname@example.org. Any concerns of a criminal nature should be directed to the Whitehorse RCMP detachment (867-667-5555).
Not everyone wishes to formally report a negative taxi experience to the City, or the police. If you don’t want to, that’s okay. You can still make an anonymous complaint, and it will be followed up on by an on-shift investigator.
At this time, the City has not received any formal complaints.
Manager Strategic Communications
City of Whitehorse