New Stoves

Share & Bookmark, Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Interested in heating with wood?

Heating with wood can be an attractive option for homeowners.

The basics

  • Wood stoves installed in Whitehorse must be EPA Certified. EPA stoves reduce wood consumption by 20-25% and emissions by up to 90%.
  • Pellet stoves require ULC certification. 

Choose the right size

Get advice from an energy advisor to select a stove that is sized for your heating needs. A big stove may produce too much heat, forcing you to damp-it down (smoulder), especially in milder weather. Smouldering fires are less efficient and produce more smoke, and lead to higher creosote build-up, which increases the risk of chimney fires.

Permit requirements

A permit is required to replace an existing or install a new wood burning appliance.  Building Inspections (Development Services) reviews, issues and inspects all installations.

Wood stove certifications

All wood stoves installed in Whitehorse need to meet Environmental Protection Agency & CSA (ULC or Warnock Hersey) approval.  Pellet stoves only require ULC safety certification. This has been a requirement since 1999 in Whitehorse, but is a new requirement for the rest of Yukon, resulting from changes to the 2010 National Building Code.

To determine if your wood stove meets these requirements, look for the wood stove certification sticker (usually found on the back of the stove).

EPA Certified Wood Stove


You must notify your insurance company that you have installed a wood stove. Failure to do so could invalidate your insurance claim if you have a fire. Your insurance rates may change.

Carbon monoxide monitor

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colourless, odorless gas that is a product of combustion. If your stove or chimney is not operating properly, CO can leak into your home and can be fatal. 

A carbon monoxide monitor is required by law on every floor of your home where a wood or fuel burning appliance is located, as well as on every floor where there are bedrooms.

Carbon monoxide monitors are stand-alone units (battery or plug-in) or can be integrated with smoke alarms. A variety of CO monitors are available at hardware, big box, and building supply stores.

CO monitors need to be replaced regularly according to manufacturers' instructions. Many CO monitors beep when they need servicing (e.g. low battery) or when they need replacement (approximately every 5 years).

To dispose of CO monitors properly:

  1. Remove and recycle all batteries 
  2. Remove all plastic parts for recycling
  3. Dispose of the remainder of your CO monitor with "landfill" waste (i.e. black cart if you have curbside collection) 

Refer to the Yukon government's website on carbon monoxide for more information.

Good Energy Rebates for Stoves

The Government of Yukon provides rebates for energy efficient heating appliances. This includes certain certified wood stoves. For more information on the rebate for wood heating systems, visit the Good Energy website.

Fresh air for combustion

Wood requires oxygen to burn. Stove manufacturers will provide information on how the fresh air for the stove is to be supplied – either a direct connection (pipe) from outside of your house to the bottom (or back) of the stove, or a fresh air vent above your stove so that cold outside air “falls” into the direct vicinity of the stove. Wood stoves installed in mobile homes must have a direct, external combustion air connection.

The installation of a wood stove can affect the pressure difference between inside-and-outside your home. You may be required to have your HRV re-balanced by a certified technician.